ImPORTant Updates: School Board Meeting

Photo Credit: Michael Puglisi

Here are some of the takeaways from this week’s School Board Meeting:

Firstly, the School Board presented the English Student of the Month Award to senior Christina Noelle Faber. She was recognized for her love of reading and writing, and good work in both her E-Team and IB English classes.

The Board then went on to approve the donations of a Selmer tenor trombone worth $1600 and two new STX lacrosse nets worth $900. They also approved the agreements made by between school districts and many different businesses and associations. Among the other items approved include the immediate mending of a roof leak at Dickinson Avenue Elementary School, as well as the tax levy. This approval did not change the tax rate, said Rapiejko, answering an audience member’s question. The motion to approve all above items was made by Trustee McNaughton and seconded by Trustee Buscareno.

Trustee Noonan (absent from this meeting), will be attending the NYSSBA (New York State School Board Association) meeting on behalf of the district. The Board discussed their position on various issues so as her vote would reflect the opinion of the school district. The Board supported the resolution to reduce illegal access to guns on school grounds, as well as making Kindergarten mandatory for attendance by all students. The board also supported a motion calling for the streamlining of a teacher hearing process, and another motion for the allocation of more money to school safety and social and emotional support for students. The trustees agreed to support a motion to increase limitations on the salary of resource officers and guards. The board did not support the changing of the Kindergarten eligibility age to the 1st of September after the student turns 5, or the need for all board members to attend 1 meeting on cultural competency, which was not elaborated on.

Stay tuned for more ImPORTant Updates!