ImPORTant Updates: School Board Meeting October 4th

Michael Puglisi, Contributor

The school board is responsible for discussing all matters concerning the school district, and our school falls under its jurisdiction Here is a summary of the key topics from the most recent School Board meeting:

It started off with a review of the first external audit of the district. The board is currently using their reserves to prevent a tax spike, and as such they have spent one million fewer dollars this year. The Board also listened to a presentation about the summer renovations to the school districts, including work done on the gyms, the chorus room, Chrome Depot, and the handball and tennis courts. It also touched on the new, greener cleaning methods used for the floors and an auto-scrubber for the floors. Also approved were a number of donations to the district.

The end of the meeting was reserved for discussing two further meetings where the Board will bring in experts in for the two special meetings. One meeting will discuss the social and emotional health of students. The second meeting will discuss the issues of arming guards in our schools. Members of the community spoke up and asked why their suggestions for representatives for social-emotional program groups had all been held off, to which Trustee Banzer said the Board wished to assess the needs of the school before choosing a particular group. He also said the meeting would talk about procedures regarding when a student needs things a school doesn’t normally provide. The Board members had different views on the matter. Chairman Rapiejko wants to follow the superintendent’s wishes of bringing in experts to assess the school’s needs. Trustee Stein suggested studying trends to find an optimal solution. Trustee Badanes believed in the merits of prevention. Trustee McCue believed it was premature to choose a prevention method before finding the need.

The issues discussed at this meeting set up the agenda for the next meeting as well as its large impacts on our schools.

Stay tuned for more imPORTant updates!