Fashion Frenzy (art for any-day of the week…)

Amelia Semple, Contributor

The classic movie set up a baseline for our generation; they help bring adventure, romance and humor to everyday civilians and their families. This was the theme for my collection: to use the movies as inspiration for everyday dresses, which includes both day dresses and evening gowns.

One of the pieces in my collection is based off of the movie Ghostbusters (who you gonna call?). The 1984 classic features actors Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Annie Potts, just to name a few. The movie is about a group of professors who believe in the para-normal, get kicked out of the college they teach at, and start a paranormal removal service. This movie has a lot of butt-kicking action and lots of 80’s humor.  A female-centered remake was produced in 2016, a testimony to its popularity. This is a classic 80’s movie that you should definitely check out. The thing that really sparked me when creating the outfit was the type of pleather- material uses for the removal outfit, and the color orange. The dress also wouldn’t be complete without the ghost removal icon.

My second piece of my collection is based off of The Wizard of Oz. The movie came out in 1939 and features the very famous Judy Garland. The movie is about a innocent girl named Dorothy Gail, who gets swept up by a tornado and gets introduced to the Land of the Oz. Now she needs to try to get home with the help of the Wizard of Oz, and her new friends: The scarecrow, The Tin man, and The Cowardly Lion. Even though this movie is very old, it’s a classic for anyone in the family to enjoy. When I was designing this outfit, the thing that really struck me was the color green, so the main color of the outfit focuses on green. But I focused on adding an bunch of movie elements like the yellow brick road up the bodice and down to the skirt. I also added the sleeping poppies from the movie, on the mesh outer-skirt and on the top for the very “oz-like” shoes.

(Keep paying attention to Fashion Frenzy for more very interesting art!)