Science Olympiad Club Overview

Elias Giuliano, Contributor

Calling all aspiring scientists- the Science Olympiad club is looking for new recruits! Each year, Northport High School’s Science Team competes in the nationwide Science Olympiad Competition- a challenge-based academic contest in which students compete in different science-related “events” to earn points for their school.  Each event deals with a different area of scientific study, such as biology, engineering, and even cryptography. Events range from question-based tests that require an extensive knowledge in that specific area, to actual projects that teams must put together based on a certain set of criteria. The school that is ranked the highest in as many different events as possible will be declared the winner. Over 7,800 different schools from across the U.S compete each year for the coveted title of Science Olympiad Champion.

As each event requires a thorough understanding of the subject that it deals with, participants need to begin their research as soon as possible. The Science Olympiad Club meets weekly on Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30. Students are divided up into small groups of 3 or 4 based on which events they want to participate in. The majority of each meeting involves individual groups studying for their specific topics, practicing for events, or making mockups of projects. Though the preparation process is a lot of work, the Science Olympiad Competition nonetheless presents a rewarding opportunity to learn more about a variety of scientific disciplines. For more information, see Mr. Horan in S127.