The International Baccalaureate Program: RePort

Michael Puglisi, Contributor

Photo Credit: Michael Puglisi

There is a chance that you may have heard of the International Baccalaureate Program, or IB for short. Newer students at the high school may have heard a few details. Others may have walked past the IB mural in the K wing upstairs. If you are interested in the IB program, or want to learn more about it, here is some information.
            The IB program is a college prep program available to students grades 11-12. It gives students the opportunity to earn college credits, and is recognized on high school transcripts and applications, depending on how fully you participate. There are two levels of participation: you can take a sampling of the classes, with a minimum of 1 main class and one elective. At the end of each class, you are required to take a 2 day IB exam, which is sent in along with grades from your work in class.

The more work-intensive option is the full IB diploma. To get this, you must complete the 5 base IB classes (English, Foreign Language, Social Studies, and Math) and an IB elective of your choosing. As an elective, you can take IB Music, IB Visual Arts, IB Dance, IB Business, IB Economics, IB Psychology, IB Design Tech, and IB Sports, Exercise and Health Science. You also need to take the Theory of Knowledge class, also known as TOK, which covers the creation and application of knowledge. You must also write a 4,000 word extended essay on a topic of your choosing, along with the completion of the Creativity Activity Service (CAS) requirement, which can be fulfilled through clubs, sports, and community service hours.

While the program will require a lot of hard work, there are many benefits, as explained by the IB program coordinator, Mr. Jensen. It will improve time management skills, expose the students to college-level material, and teach concept based learning.

The program is free to enroll. If you wish to learn more about the IB program, come to the informational meeting at 7:00 on November 17 at NHS. If you have any additional questions, see Mr. Jensen in room K204 or email him at [email protected].