Club RePORT: Computer Club

Photo Credit: Alex Kantor

Griffin Crafa, Contributor

Meetings: Every Thursday for regular meetings, and one Saturday a month, which are the competition dates
Time: Regular Thursday Meetings run from 3:00 to 4:30 and Saturday Competitions run from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Advisor: Ms. Savino on regular Thursday meetings and Mr. Claps on the Saturday competition dates
Place: S215 (one of the computer labs) and S211 (Mr. Claps’ room)

Each year, the Northport High School Codebreakers place Top Ten in New York in the Cyberpatriot National Youth Cyber Defense Competition. The team originates from the Computer Club, and this nationwide competition marks the peak of the club’s activities. Throughout the year, members devote a countless number of hours to perfect their cyber skills in order to do the best they possibly can in this event. Although it hasn’t been done yet, if the Codebreakers do well enough, they can qualify to advance to the National Finals round in Baltimore, with the chance of becoming National Champions.
Computer Club meets every Thursday after school, from 3:00 to 4:30 in rooms S215 and S211. Additionally, the club has one Saturday meeting a month, an intra-club competition that runs from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. At the Thursday meetings, members of the computer club work on improving their general computer knowledge and abilities, and activities range from programming and web design to sometimes just playing games! The CyberPatriot Competition is currently divided into three teams, this year, the club has a goal to increase to a total of four to five teams in the future. Each team has its own name and is led by a captain, similar to an officer in other clubs, who have participated in the club before and has prior knowledge in the topic. These individual teams compete against one another at the Saturday competitions.
This year, Computer Club is acting “ambitiously,” working to create programming competitions and “hackathons” with the Academy of Information Technology (AOIT). Similarly, Computer Club teams up with the NHS Robotics team on certain activities though this is limited since the two participate in different competitions have and thus have different schedules. Each member of the computer club determines their own commitment level, so it really is designed for all students. Whether you’re there to learn, compete, or just have fun, Computer Club is open to everyone!