Port SPORT RePORT: Fall Sports Recap

PhotoCredit: TBR News Media

Sophia Martuscello, Contributor

This year, the fall sports teams performed exceptionally well. Our girls swim team placed second in the County Championship along with capturing the League I Title. Several swimmers competed at the State Championships on November 16-17 at Ithaca College. The Boys Cross Country team placed second in the Counties on November 5th which qualified them to run at the New York State Federation Championships on November 17th at Bowdoin Park in Wappinger Falls, NY. Our Field Hockey Team advanced for the programs first time to the Suffolk County Championship. The Girls Varsity Volleyball team captured the League II Championship and by far made a dramatic transformation from last year;  both our boys and girls volleyball teams were considered the top programs in Suffolk County. Our Boys Golf Team was crowned Division II Tournament Champions, and our Football Team earned a piece of the BIg IV Title. Both Boys and Girls Soccer competed well with some of the best programs in New York.

I had the opportunity to speak to Mr. Dantuono, who has been our Athletic Director for the past year. He attended Northport High School and is a graduate from Ithaca College. As a high school student, he played football and baseball; in college he continued to play football. His proudest moment of this fall season was our Athletic Department’s participation with Louis J. Acompora Memorial Foundation which provided free heart screening for student athletes. Over 400 of our students participated on October 27th. Mr. Dantuono said that he is proud to be serving this community, our school district and enjoys working with talented coaches and driven student athletes.