Port Showcase: Art and Literary Magazine

Michael Puglisi, Contributor

The Northport Art and Literary Magazine is tasked with compiling school-wide submissions of pictures, art, poetry, and stories. These magazines are then submitted to the American Scholastic Press Association, which gives awards to literature or art and literature magazines nationwide. The school’s magazine has recently won two awards. I had the pleasure of talking to Mrs. Baldwin about the magazine.

The club meets after schools on Thursdays, usually biweekly, but weekly when the magazine is getting laid out. The magazine is laid out with great care as to the piece and what it lies next to. The cover is chosen from all of the approved art submitted. All are welcome to join at any time. At most meetings, those there will critique and give constructive criticism on the pieces. Mrs. Baldwin stressed that these pieces are critiqued anonymously, and they can be published anonymously if so wished by the author. Any photographs, drawings, paintings, poems, literature, prose, or other artwork can be submitted into a Google Form accessible from the website, or in person or through Mr. DeRosa’s or Mrs. Baldwin’s emails.

The magazine also excitingly won two awards this year- they were made the second best high school level art and literary magazine in the country, and it won the outstanding poem award. The magazine will be coming out in May 17th, where a coffeehouse event is held in the Little Theater. It is an open mic event, with treats and coffee served. All proceeds go to charity.