The Port Press

The Gap Is Below 1,000,000

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Gap Is Below 1,000,000

Liam Mickulas-Mesco, Contributor

On December 11, 2018, the war against YouTuber PewDiePie and music company T-Series reached the maximum subscriber gap at over one million. PewDiePie fans rejoiced the temporary victory, but little did we know that all of our work would soon come to an end.

During the early days of January 2019, the third of January to be more specific, the difference in subscribers between PewDiePie (Felix Kjellberg) and T-Series decreased dramatically, going from over 1,000,000 to 900k. How this happened is not completely obvious yet, but what we do know is that help is not coming.

Let me fill you in a bit if you don’t know what I am talking about. On October 26, 2018, YouTuber MrBeast uploaded a video to his channel where he went around his town and bought billboards and adverts to promote PewDiePie and raise awareness about what was going on on YouTube. This video lead to a surge in Felix’s subscriber count and a surge in people promoting him. Since then, there have been countless purchases, streams, songs, and hacks done in PewDiePie’s favor.

And now we’re here. As of January 14th, 2018, the subscriber gap is under 320,000. We all knew that the victory couldn’t have lasted forever, but we had hoped it would for some time. On the PewDiePie reddit, r/pewdiepiesubmissions, fans are proposing an idea where each subscriber makes two new YouTube accounts to subscribe to Felix.

This isn’t the way to go as YouTube eventually purges most fake accounts. This happened during December 13 and 14 of 2018 where T-Series lost over 100k subscribers. If T-Series can lose that much because of one audit, how many subscribers will PewDiePie lose and how close will the gap be? That, I cannot answer. However, what I can do is encourage you to subscribe to PewDiePie on YouTube. This isn’t just a meme. This isn’t just a joke. This isn’t a stunt to get Felix more subs. This is more than just Felix. This is more than just YouTube. This is about a company versus a man and his friends. You always here stories about Mom and Pop stores going out of business due to a giant corporation like Target. Don’t let it happen here.

About the Writer
Liam Mickulas-Mesco, Contributor

Liam Mickulas-Mesco is a 9th grade student. He enjoys writing about current events in pop culture, and likes to make personality quizzes. His favorite...