The Origin of Mrs. Cavanagh’s Miaucoles‽

Photo Credit: Cali Alvarez

Cali Alvarez, Contributor

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Cavanagh

Recently, I got a chance to sit down with longtime Spanish teacher, Mrs. Cavanagh, to interview her about her experience in the classroom and some important questions her students are dying to know…

Hi, Mrs. Cavanagh! Thanks for sitting down to do this interview with me. Okay, so, first question… What subject do you teach?

Spanish

How long have you been teaching?

twenty-two years.

What are your favorite and least favorite parts about teaching?

My favorite part is actually being with the students. My least favorite is the lack of mental break and all the paperwork.

What inspired you to become a teacher and what advice would you give students hoping to go into the teaching profession?

I truly wanted to share my love of language and culture and I’m a people person. My serious advice [is to] really do your homework, talk to people in the profession, know what state requirements are, and make an educated decision . The amount of work involved is unbelievable, so really know what you’re getting into. Teachers make it look easy, but it takes a lot of dedication and hard work and patience.

That’s great advice. Besides teaching, what do you like to do in your free time?

I like to spend time with family friends, cooking, hiking, walking, and reading.

What was your favorite subject in school?

It really was Spanish. I had the same teacher for three years, [it was a] small class–I loved it. I also loved ceramics and woodworking, [they were] so great and so fun.

Those do sound like fun! What’s something interesting about you that a lot of your students don’t really know?

Cats are not my favorite animal, monkeys are!

No way! That is a great answer! Why do you choose to teach Spanish?

[I’m simply] infatuated with language and culture. I love being able to communicate with as many people as I can.

That’s awesome. Describe a memorable moment (or moments) in your classroom.

When students leave and thank me, when I actually see my students putting the language together and using it , and when the students are enthusiastic and actually having fun while they’re learning.

What’s one of your favorite class projects you’ve ever done?

We had a market set up in the classroom, like an outdoor flea market where kids sold things with fake money, to practice bargaining phrases .

Okay, last question. We’re all dying to know, everyone’s very curious…what was the origin of miaucoles?

There is a website that posts videos and pictures under the title Miaucoles and a student bought me a t-shirt, my taco-gato t-shirt and I just went from there. I bought lots of other shirts and apparel and started doing it in my classroom every wednesday. It was a combination of the website and the t-shirt from the student; it inspired me to do it and have fun with my class, I love having fun.

Thank you for doing an interview for Port Press, Mrs. Cavanagh! Hope you have a great rest of your year!

What teacher should we spotlight next? Comment below!