The Port Press

Once Upon a Time: The Northport Powdered Wigs’ Stunning Performance of Into the Woods

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Mrs. Salisbury

Photo Credit: Mrs. Salisbury

Photo Credit: Mrs. Salisbury

Photo Credit: Mrs. Salisbury

Michael Puglisi, Contributor

The Northport Powdered Wigs have been running for a very long time. Every year, they will perform one Broadway-length show, with a full pit run by NHS’s own Mrs. Cromeyn. And this year we are treated to Stephen Sondheim’s masterpiece, Into the Woods.

Photo Credit: Mrs. Salisbury

The play is similar to the 2014 movie. We see the stories of Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Cinderella, as seen from the perspective of a baker trying to lift a curse placed on his family so he can have a child. After the fairy tale stories we all know are told in Act 1, Act 2 is concerned with showing us the consequences of everyone’s actions. I auditioned for the play, and got an ensemble role. The ensemble does not play a huge part in the play, which was initially disappointing, but gave me a good look at the many play scenes I wasn’t in, as seen from the perspective of the audience.

The different aspects of the play are phenomenal. The actors in the lead roles are all great, the set pieces are impressive and imaginative, and the pit gives the whole play a stunning air of professionality. The play itself is tricky to execute in places, but it is executed very well in this production. The show is enjoyable to watch, and I hope the audience will find so too. Previews of the play were shown on Thursday fourth and period, giving students a taste of the show.

The play will be shown on Friday at 7:30 p.m. , Saturday at 7:30 p.m. , and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

About the Writer
Michael Puglisi, Contributor

Michael Puglisi is a newcomer to Port Press, hoping to make his mark. He has always liked journalism, and has worked on school newspapers before. He also...

1 Comment

One Response to “Once Upon a Time: The Northport Powdered Wigs’ Stunning Performance of Into the Woods”

1. Liam on March 5th, 2019 1:18 pm

I saw the play on Sunday and I wish I could see it again. The singing was amazing and the acting was really convincing. It really puts you into the story.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Once Upon a Time: The Northport Powdered Wigs’ Stunning Performance of Into the Woods

Entertainment

Mean Girls Broadway Musical Review

Entertainment

Ben Platt’s Sing To Me Instead Album Review

Entertainment

10 Thoughts I Had While Watching “Good Trouble: DTLA”

Entertainment

RePORT: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Entertainment

Netflix “CliffsNotes” – A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning, Part 1

Entertainment

10 Thoughts I Had While Watching “Modern Family: Red Alert”

Entertainment

‘Riverdale’ Star Passes Away

Entertainment

Into the Woods With the 2019 Pit Orchestra

Entertainment

TV Report: Grown-ish: “Workin’ Me”

Entertainment

TV Report: Legacies Premier

The Student News Site of Northport High School