The Port Press

Netflix “CliffsNotes” – A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning, Part 1

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Twitter

Photo Credit: Twitter

Photo Credit: Twitter

Photo Credit: Twitter

Amelia Semple, Contributor

Here in this post, we’ll be taking a look through a minute-by-minute recap of “The Bad Beginning: Part 1,” the premiere episode of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Enjoy!

• The show introduces the narrator which is Lemony Snicket, the narrator for the unfortunate story of the Baudelaire orphans
  • The show is centered around Violet Baudelaire, a fourteen-year-old inventor; Klaus a twelve-year-old library scientist; and Sunny Baudelaire, a baby with strong teeth. They are on their way to Briny Beach.
  • Mr. Poe, the Baudelaire lawyer, tells the kids that their parents have “perished in a terrible fire.” They are taken back to the house where Klaus finds a strange object
  • They stay at the Poes’ house, a terrible end to a terrible day. Snicket then reveals the future of the Poes’ two kids
  • The children meet Justice Strauss, but they are disappointed to find out that she will not be their guardian
  • They then meet their actual guardian, Count Olaf, whose only motive for taking them in is obtaining their immense fortune
  • The kids are forced to do many awful chores; Justice Strauss comes by and is dismissed by Count Olaf
  • The kids eventually go to Strauss’ house to find a dinner recipe for Count Olaf and his acting troupe
  • Count Olaf and his troupe end up performing a fun musical number
  • Violet, Klaus, and Sunny start cooking pasta puttanesca 
  • Klaus gets slapped by Count Olaf, much to the kids’ anger and disbelief
  • The Baudlaires stay awake much of the night, sad and worried. Justice Strauss is slowly reading an book about adoption
  • In the end of the episode, we see a mother and a father being held captive. Are they talking about the children? Could they be the Baudelaires parents?

Photo Credit: Geeksofcolor

Entertainment Review:☆☆☆☆

Comedy Review:☆☆☆☆

Have you watched ASOUE? What else did you notice about this episode? Comment below!

About the Writer
Amelia Semple, Contributor

Amelia is a sophomore at Northport High School, and when she isn’t studying for all her classes, she loves writing and fashion design. She is also a...