De-Stress Before EOY Exams

Cali Alvarez, Editing Team

Need a break from school stress? Want to clear your head before a test? Need a few minutes for yourself during the day? The NHS Library has the perfect place for you: the Wellness Space. Mrs. Cavaliere has been hard at work putting this place together all year and she had its grand opening during Wellness Week. Let’s take a quick tour!

Photo credit: Cali Alvarez

The Wellness Space is located in the Upper Library. If you’d like to stop by, just sign in at the front desk and let them hold on to your phone/electronic device for you. The Wellness Space is meant to be a place where you can let your mind relax and not worry about what’s happening on your phone.

Photo credit: Cali Alvarez

You can relax and take a minute by coloring a mandala, working on the pixel puzzle on the wall, or meditating for a while. The room features a salt lamp and beanbags so you can really chill out when you need to. You can stay in the Wellness Space for up to one period (42 minutes) and it’s a really nice place to de-stress.

Photo credit: Cali Alvarez

Here’s a word from Mrs. Cavaliere about how the Wellness Room was born!

“Over the last few years, I have noticed a larger number of students who seek refuge at the end of our library stacks, eyes closed, earbuds in, just trying to find a little peace in an increasingly stressful school day.  I’m always finding ways to serve the needs of our students, not just academically, but mentally and creatively, whether it be by providing makerspace activities, crafting sessions, and stress-relieving activities. This small room, located on the upper level of our library, was often unused and I would often go in there if I needed a quiet moment of reflection. It occurred to me: why should I be the only one using this?  I started bouncing ideas about a “reflection” or “mindful” room in that space. I started playing around in there, seeing what would work and what wouldn’t. I then realized that Anthony Ferrandino and Terrence Hinson were looking for such a space for the same concept. The Wellness Room was born of input from staff and students alike. I’m very excited to “cut the ribbon” on our work in progress on April 16th.”

Photo credit: Cali Alvarez

This space is such a great place for students to visit whenever they need a minute away from the hustle and bustle of high school; also, this is a great place to stop by before Regents and finals. Have you visited the Wellness Space yet? Let us know in the comments what your favorite way is to de-stress!

Photo credit: Cali Alvarez