Senior Athletes Reflect on High School Athletic Careers at NESPY Awards

NESPY+Awards

Mr. Dantuono

NESPY Awards

Colin Shashaty, Freelancer

On Wednesday, June 5, the Northport Athletic Department held the second annual NESPY awards night. The NESPY awards is a night in which all the senior athletes get recognized for their commitment and dedication to Northport Athletics. In addition to all the athletes being recognized, there are also special award categories that are voted on by the coaches, just like the ESPY awards. These awards made the night more exciting and entertaining for everyone in attendance.

“In the fall of 2017, Coach Strasser suggested to Coach Gipp and Coach Lynch to create an ESPY themed award show. Through conversation, they had a red carpet, backdrop for pictures, and the themes of the awards,” Athletic Director Mr. Dantuono said.

Mr. Dantuono
NESPY Awards

This night was extra special because it was an opportunity for the senior athletes to reflect on the many accomplishments they had during their high school careers. Mr. Dantuono credited the success of this senior class to their commitment to putting the team first. “This was a special senior class. They were a driven, committed class that was willing to do whatever it takes to be successful in the classroom and the athletic field.”

Mr. Dantuono
NESPY Awards

One athlete in particular that truly represented what it meant to be a Northport Tiger was the winner of the Male NESPY Icon award, Trent Mayer. Trent suffered a serious knee injury that kept him out for most of the volleyball season, as well as a shoulder injury that sidelined him for much of the baseball season. Through all the adversity he faced throughout this year, he still set an example on how to represent the Northport Tigers. “Northport Athletics has motivated me to not only become a better athlete but a better person. After finishing my career as a Tiger I am not only a better person on the field but also off the field,” Trent said.

Mr. Dantuono
NESPY Awards

This senior class left a lasting impact on Northport Athletics that will not be forgotten. They showed all of us what it meant to proudly represent the Northport Tigers. We wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors!

NESPY Award Winners

Best Male Athlete- Justin Gerdvil

Best Female Athlete- Olivia Carner

Comeback Player of the Year- Kate Gilligan

Female NESPY Icon Award- Shea Cronin

Male NESPY Icon Award- Trent Mayer

Best Team- Girls Lacrosse

Best Upset- Boys Lacrosse

Courage Award- Grace Luby, Kate Trizzino, Garrett Rospars

Best Male Breakthrough Athlete- Tyler Pedersen

Best Female Breakthrough Athlete- Sydnie Rohme

Best Male Student-Athlete- Matt Fuggini

Best Female Student-Athlete- Izzy Yeomans

Best Record-Breaking Career- Hannah Stockman

Best Individual Performance-Sean Ryan

Comeback Coach of the Year- Coach DeMartini