How to Best Prepare for AP/IB Exams: STEM Edition

The James G. Center for Academic Renewal

As spring approaches, so does the dread of the upcoming AP and IB exams for any sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in these demanding courses. 

Lily Eagen, Freelancer

These massive tests can be up to three hours long and can sometimes span over multiple days. These tests are extremely difficult to study for, as the specifics and the length of the exam can be daunting. 

To try to alleviate some of this stress, I interviewed different teachers from each core subject to ask their opinions on how to best prepare for these exams. Of course, these study skills and overall advice can apply to many different courses as well, so even if you’re not taking an AP or IB course this year, you may find this helpful for studying for your finals or Regents!

Mrs. Rozell: AP Calculus BC and IB Analysis and Approaches SL

Q: Do you have a suggested overall process for preparing for an upcoming AP/IB exam on your particular subject? If so, can you describe it?

A: Students should make sure that they’re familiar with the format of the test, by practicing with old versions of the test. Know how many questions there are and how much time is in each section, know what to expect with that. I definitely suggest that you go through practice exams for math and actually do the problems. Then you’ll start to see topics that you’re struggling with and you can go back to those topics and study that.

Q: What should a student do the night before the exam?

A: Definitely get a good night’s sleep, don’t stay up all night studying. It’s better to be well rested, since all of these tests are really long. I would say, you’re not going to learn everything the night before. You could also probably look over terminology, your formulas, just a general overview. 

Q: What should a student do the morning of the exam?

A: Make sure you have all of the tools you need, like your graphing calculator, rulers, and other things. Make sure you have all of your writing utensils as well. Bring some snacks, water, and eat a good breakfast. 

Q: What is the most important thing a student should review before the exam?

A: It depends on the course! In IB, since they’re 11th graders, sometimes the material is on the year before, which is sometimes harder. Maybe focus on studying some topics that were considered prior knowledge things. In AP Calc, there’s just a lot of formulas that you need to know that are not given to you so they have to make sure they know the formulas.

Q: What is one thing that students often forget to study for this exam?

A: In IB, the exam loves to ask questions on binomial expansion, the discriminant, the quadratic formula, and geometric sequences and series. Sometimes that’s the one that they find the hardest, as it’s previous knowledge. My students say that probability is also really difficult!

Q: Do you have any final thoughts or advice for students taking AP or IB tests this spring?

A: Get started studying early. Little by little is better than trying to cram the week before. Do the practice that your teacher assigns you. Sometimes it helps to study with a friend or a study group. You might work with three other people and one is better at a certain topic and can explain it to the rest of the group, which benefits everyone. If your teacher offers review sessions you should go.

Mr. Strasser: AP Chemistry

A: Basically work every night using the AP Classroom website. I think that it’s a nice thing that the College Board has done that they’ve provided a nice website with different questions and videos that students can use. We do daily practice tests in class as well to help prepare.

Q: What is the best thing a student could do the week before an upcoming AP/IB exam?

A: I think the best thing a student can do would be to go over their mistakes on practice tests. I think that’s important since when you take a practice test that’s an AP level exam and I think you really have to look at your mistakes on those questions so that you’ll get them right the next time.

A: I don’t think they should do any chemistry. The night before, all the work that they’ve put into studying for the exam is done. I think it’s all mentally relaxing and getting a good night’s sleep. You just have to trust your gut at that point that you did everything possible during review!

A: I give them an overall packet that’s like a quick note guide from the year. I think that’s probably one of the best things they should do; putting all of their notes into one spot. That’s kind of the best thing a student can do because at this point you don’t go back and reread your notes or redo your lessons.

A: I would say to start the process earlier. A lot of students are taking more than one exam, so the later you wait to study then the more likely you are to cram. Start early, start small, look at it as more of a marathon than a sprint.