Senior Spending Struggles: How to Save and Still Have Fun

Emma Glick, Editor

If you ask a high school graduate what their favorite year of high school is, their probable answer is senior year. The stresses of SATs and achieving a 4.0 GPA from junior year are over, college applications are in, and, other than awaiting the long-coveted acceptance letters, sitting back and relaxing can become a new way of life. However, this year of fun and leisure certainly is not a cheap one. From gas money, prom, dorm decorations, and ginormous college costs, being a senior can easily break the bank.

While the expenses from college tours may be over, college application costs are just beginning once senior year begins. With an average cost of $43, and some schools charging a hefty $70 and up just to apply, these applications begin to add up after a while, reports CNBC. Kaitlyn Cunningham, a senior attending Vassar, applied to seven schools. “I’d have to say that all my applications cost me about $420”. Anywhere from 5-7 schools is usually the average amount, but there are a few who apply to significantly more. A word to those who are applying to college next year: unless you are sure you will actually attend the schools that you are applying to, don’t spend potentially hundreds of dollars extra that could be spent towards paying for the school that you are actually attending.

One of the greatest aspects of being a senior is driving. Between driving to school, going to parties or the beach, and making frequent trips to the mall, stops at the gas station will begin to add up. One senior, who wishes to remain anonymous, says that gas costs her about $100 a month, which can add up to over a $1,000 every year. If your gas bill is too much to handle, try finding the quickest route possible to your location, or rethink whether your trip is worth the money. If you are buying a car and don’t want to spend all your money on gas, a fuel efficient car that doesn’t guzzle gas may do the trick.

Yet another costly senior perk is prom. According to Fortune, the average family spends $919 dollars on their child’s prom, with just $324 spent on the “promposal” alone. Tickets, dresses and tuxedos, buses and limos, hair and makeup, shoes and accessories begin to add up to some pricy totals. The cost for a just a ticket to Northport’s 2018 prom is $110. If you want to save money on this special night, do your hair and makeup yourself or have a friend or relative do it for you, rent your limo or bus with as many people as possible as to make the cost less, and rent or borrow your dress or tux.

When senior year ends, the time comes to prepare for another exciting time: the college dorm. You’ve found your roommate and picked your home for the next year; now it’s time to decorate. Some incoming students turn their dorms into palaces, picking out the best of everything to decorate their rooms. Business Insider reveals that the average person spends $907.22 on creating their dream dorm, and a grand total of $50 billion is spent per year on dorm decorating. While stores like Bed Bath and Beyond make it seem like you have to buy brand new everything when you go off to college, try to cut some corners when possible. If you really want to save money, use your own bedding and pillows from your current room, and make DIY decorations instead of buying them. When in doubt, always look out for coupons to save big bucks on your new items.

So, to still enjoy senior year without breaking the bank, save, spend, and shop smartly!