Best of Broadway: Be More Chill

Sophia Martuscello, Contributor

Photo credit wikimedia

Be more chill. This is what every high schooler wishes they could do, especially Jeremy Heere, the main character of the Off Broadway musical Be More Chill which is based off of the book by the same name. A socially awkward teenage boy, Jeremy, takes the opportunity to implant a super computer into his brain to get his crush to notice him. As he starts to climb the social hierarchy of high school, he starts to lose sight of what really is important. The Northport High School Theater Troupe actually gave an astounding performance of this play last June. Will Roland even gave them a shout out of good luck on their opening night.

This play first premiered in 2015 at Two River Theater, and made its way to Off Broadway this past summer. Will Roland who played Jared from the Broadway musical Dear Evan Hansen played Jeremy. On September 19th, they announced that this incredible play is moving to Broadway in February of 2019!!

I was lucky enough to see this play on September 16th at The Pershing Square Signature Center. The performances were excellent and right after the play ended, every actor and actress walked out of the stage doors to sign and take pictures with each and every fan. They were all so sweet and patient with each person. George Salazar who plays Jeremy’s best friend Michael Mell, was especially pleasant. If you are looking for a new upcoming Broadway play to see, I highly recommend Be More Chill.