High School Musical (Bell)?

School Construction News

After each period, rather than hearing the bell, parents were greeted with a song. 

Carlee Ferrara

On Thursday, September 29, thousands of students left the school knowing their parents would show up hours later. Since the senior’s freshman year, back to school night had either been hosted online through Google Meets or not at all. This would be the first time in years that parents would have the opportunity to walk around Northport High School and spend a few hours in their child’s shoes.

A few days prior, Mr. Dennis revealed his plans for the night. Being that it was the first time for most parents to enter the building, he labeled it as an “Engagement Party” and brought food trucks for the parents to enjoy. 

He also let students order food for those that were leaving late practices or clubs, or helping out the National Honor Society. Students volunteered to help parents find their way through the halls and locate the classes they needed to be in.

The students that were there got the experience they had during their first couple days, with hundreds of people ambling around in search of a history classroom. But the parents were more fortunate than us students; after each period, rather than hearing the bell, parents were greeted with a song. 

Every song that came through the announcements had played into the theme of the night. While many parents found it charming, others weren’t as interested and would rather hear the sound of the Mister Softee truck outside making their milkshake.

But the idea seemed to resonate with most students. A few students who attended for the National Honor Society suggested that once in a while Mr. Dennis replace the regular bell with a song or two during a Friday morning, which would be something to help students get through the day and even more ready for the weekend.

“I feel like that’s a great idea,” said Meadow Moscarelli, an 11th grader who was told about the idea. “It’s a fun little thing to boost your mood on a Friday, or just in school in general.”

“I’d rather be greeted with the sound of a nice song than an irritating bell,” John McGrath agreed, another 11th grade student.

A majority of students liked the idea, as long as the music was picked by the students rather than the teachers. They preferred the idea when it involved their taste in music. With this in mind, the songs would most likely have to be approved by the school before being played and would be void of any expletives and suggestive themes.

Although not everyone got to hear the bustle of parents trying to find which gym their child had class in (2 gyms can confuse a majority of parents), the students who experienced the music liked it. 

It was an attempt at making things fun and something that many would like to see come back, not just for another engagement night, but for a Friday before the weekend, or before a longer break.