How to Deal With the Stress of New Second Semester Classes

iStock

If you’ve ever taken a half-year course, you know exactly what I’m talking about. That time when the second semester begins and some of your classes switch out for new ones. 

Stina Czeisel, Contributor

Switching classes. It can be very chaotic, especially if you’re crossing the Commons. But as the year goes on and everyone settles into their routines, it seems less chaotic and more like a normal part of life. But what happens when that routine is interrupted? When its changed?

It can be nerve-wracking, because what if you forget and accidentally go to the wrong class? And the bell just rang and you’re in the wrong wing. Showing up late to the first new class of the semester doesn’t make a very good first impression.

What if the teacher hates me? What if I fail the class? I’m sure some of you have thought something like this at some point. If you’re one of those people who gets nervous before trying something new and can’t seem to shake it, just remember that you were probably nervous the first week of school, when all your classes were new, and it turned out fine (at least I hope it did).

Teachers aren’t usually mean, especially not right away. If they get strict later in the year, it’s probably because your class is acting up. If you’re having a hard time with the class, talk to your teacher, and you can probably work out a better strategy to help you learn the material. Most teachers offer Extra Help, and you can go on your lunch period (if you have lunch) as long as the teacher’s free.

But remember, if you’re goofing off in class, playing games on your phone, or talking with your friends instead of paying attention and you start not doing the work and failing the class, you have no one to blame but yourself.

So instead of slacking off, do the work and ask the teacher if you need help. Most of them will be more than happy to help you. Good luck with your new classes, everyone!